Thursday, March 27, 2014

Which is which? Full Frame versus Micro Four Thirds

I've been spending quite a bit of time doing more studio style photography and have been learning different techniques from amazing photographers. Just recently, I met up with a buddy who also loves the Cheetah/Godox line of barebulb flashes to do an impromptu portrait session. Like him, I have become a huge fan of the Phottix line of light modifiers and accessories, another China-based company hitting a homerun in the strobist department.  In the image below, you will see the 43 inch Phottix Luna Octobank. What I love about this modifier is that it is a fold-able, light weight, highly portable octobox that produces pleasing light and is a perfect fit with my Cheetah Speed Pro Bracket MarkII. I haven't spent enough time with the Luna to make a definitive claim about it's quality, durability and utility, but you can bet I will be posting a review in the near future.   

Photo Cred to Efong Chiu
During my time working in the studio, I noticed one thing - Good lighting will always beat gear. The following two shots were taken with different cameras one being the famous Canon 5D MarkII and the other with an Olympus E-P5.  After reviewing both files, I honestly couldn't tell the difference as far as image quality goes. Can you?

A great professor in light - Efong Chiu of EmaginePixel



I understand outside of the studio the differences between depth of field and low-light performance is more noticeable, but for these applications I would argue they are neck and neck.   Feel free to leave your comments and thoughts below. Thanks for stopping by.

So say we all,
Dino

For more information about the lighting equipment used, check out my blog posts HERE.  This links to both my initial impressions and subsequent uses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment