Saturday, August 24, 2013

We're Alive Season 4

The creator himself, Kc Wayland, as a Zombie
It's not everyday I get excited about something, but when it comes to my favorite podcast of all time, I simply NERD OUT.  For almost 2 years, I've been following this serialized drama podcast called We're Alive - A Zombie Story of Survival.  This podcast speaks to me on so many levels.  A) It's a story about Zombies (who doesn't like zombies) B) It's a well written story that harkens back to the days of Orson Wells, where the theater is in the mind C) The podcast is filled with down-to-earth, talented voice-actors, who deeply appreciate their fans.



I first discovered this podcast by accident when I typed in the word "zombies" in iTunes.  From the very first episode I was hooked.  For the first time in my life, I felt scared, tense, anxious all at the same time. I can honestly say that scary movies these days just don't do anything for me.  I don't know if it's the fact that I am hyper aware that anything I see is either computer generated or created by talented makeup artists (or in other words, fake), but it doesn't solicit any kind of emotion from me. We're Alive's approach is just so new, yet old.  Any kind of imagery, whether it's the face of the protagonist, the story's backdrop, or even how the zombies look, are all created from my imagination.  My own thoughts are  scarier than anything Hollywood can portray because it plays off my own personal fears and insecurities.  

Copyright.  All rights reserved Wayland Productions

We're Alive is premiering their next and final season this Monday, August 26th, 2013.  For those of you who are now discovering the podcast, you are in luck.  You can listen to all the prior episodes FREE of charge.  Just download the prior seasons either from iTunes (or android equivalent - my personal favorite app is Beyond Pod) or directly from their website.  My only warning to new listeners is this: PACE YOURSELF.  Fight the urge to listen to the all 3 seasons in one day or you'll find yourself in the same position as the rest of us faithful listeners - patiently or impatiently waiting week after week for each glorious episode.  



I've been fortunate enough to have some association with the cast and crew of We're Alive.  In fact, a year ago I was asked to do a photo shoot with some of the voice actors of the show.  At the risk of spoiling anything, I will not divulge who they are or what my influences (or loose references are). I will merely share a handful of my favorites shots from the day.  This is by far one the most memorable things I have ever done.  










Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to go to www.zombiepodcast.com for more information on We're Alive.  

Better start running,
Dino


No comments:

Post a Comment