Monday, October 27, 2014

Full Frame vs. Micro Four Thirds (m43): Sony A7 vs. the Olympus OMD E-M1

The mirrorless world is full of options and I am happy that it is progressing as quickly as it has. I have been fortunate enough to own both a mirrorless full frame camera from the Sony A7 series and what is arguably the best micro four thirds camera out in the market today, the Olympus OMD E-M1. I wanted to challenge all of my fellow mirrorless shooters to see if they can tell the difference from the two cameras under controlled, studio settings. I will post which camera I used in a couple of days.

I think immediately you will notice the difference in skin tones. I purposefully picked these two wonderful ladies as they share a very similar color (I even posed them similarly). In processing the shots, I made sure to use a similar white balance and hue to demonstrate the rendering of both the Olympus OMD and the Sony A7 files. I will let you decide which you like best, but to my eyes it is hard to tell which is which especially when you have good light.    






Notes about the shoot:
  • I paired the OMD E-M1 with the 75mm f1.8 @ f/5.6, ISO 100 (Low)
  • I paired the Sony A7 with the FE 70-200mm f/4 G Zoom lens. It was shot at f/10, ISO 100.
  • Both were processed in Lightroom
  • Flashpoint RoveLight 600WS as Key
  • Neewer DS 300 for fill 
  • Cheetahstand Cl-360 (Godox AD-360) background light
At the end of the day, I think we all can agree that mirrorless cameras, in its current state, is in a good place and it's only getting better. I am glad I dove head first into this world and would love to hear your thoughts. Remember to come back in a few days for the results =).

Update 10/28/2014

I polled people from Facebook and Google+ receiving the following  results:

54% believe the 1st photo was taken with the OMD E-M1

46% believe the 1st photo was taken with the Sony A7 (please note the A7, NOT the A7r/s was used)


Answer: The first photo was taken with the OMD E-M1 and the second with the Sony A7

Update 10/28/2014

Here are my follow up thoughts on full frame vs. m43: Read More

So say we all,
Dino


No comments:

Post a Comment